These documents are available in alternate formats upon request. Please contact the City on 9400 4000.
The Edgewater Quarry site is bound by residential housing, Joondalup Drive, Treetop Avenue and Regatta Drive, Edgewater and covers an approximate area of 17.02 square hectares. The location and visibility of the site abutting Joondalup Drive makes the site significant as it is located on one of the major entry roads into Joondalup City Centre.
Edgewater Quarry presents interesting topography and includes cliffs indicating the early history of the area where limestone was extracted for a variety of purposes. Along the top of the cliffs and adjacent to a local residential area are strips of land up to 30 metres wide.
The Edgewater Quarry Master Plan process commenced in March 2008 and included a community consultation process to ensure that the views of both local residents and those with a special interest in the site had an opportunity to participate. Surveys were received by over 1,200 individuals and groups during the four week consultation period.
At its meeting held in May 2009, Council resolved that a concept plan for the Edgewater Quarry site be prepared with the inclusion of certain elements, such as:
- Native flora botanic garden that has linkages to an adventure playground
- Highly visible and well shaded picnic, BBQ and large grassed areas that are linked to public toilet amenities
- Dual use walking trails and bike paths that provide connection to the park facilities
- An adventure playground that provides children with sensory and learning opportunities, caters for wheelchair access and is well shaded
- Supporting infrastructure consisting of parking, lighting and a multipurpose facility that includes storage, a hard stand area and can cater for kiosk/café and ticketing office
- The provision of commercial developments along Joondalup Drive that add value to the intended use of the site.
In line with Council’s request, concept plans were prepared and since that time, with Elected Members input, additional concept plans have been requested and will be prepared in due course.
Prior to development of this site, further community consultation will take place.
For more information please call 9400 4106.