A new round of the City of Joondalup Innovation Fund is now open for submissions.
Advances in technology, including the so-called digital economy, are changing the way businesses, government organisations, consumers and the community work, interact and live. The economic and social impacts, as well as the potential of the digital economy are being recognised at local, state, national and global levels.
Through its Innovation Fund, the City of Joondalup recognises the opportunity to foster local initiatives that will bring and create new business activities into Joondalup, adding to the business dynamic and creating new synergies and business development avenues which might not otherwise occur, or be attracted elsewhere.
The Innovation Fund provides substance and a demonstrated City commitment to its Digital Strategy Joondalup: Digital City and Economic Development Strategy Expanding Horizons through funding assistance which will enable creative ideas and concepts to be taken to the next stage, and implemented – adding vibrancy to both business and community in the ‘Billion Dollar City’ and further enhancing the Destination City vision. As the first local government in metropolitan Perth to develop and launch a digital strategy, the City is leading the way as an innovative digital city.
Grants of between $5,000 to a maximum of $20,000 are available over one year for each successful application. Funding will be allocated on a competitive basis, guided by the recommendations of an Assessment and Advisory Panel, to those applications clearly demonstrating that they meet the eligibility requirements and the assessment criteria.
Aim of the Innovation Fund
The aim of the Innovation Fund initiative by the City is to foster innovative ideas and concepts that will contribute towards developing entrepreneurial and enterprising business activities in the Digital Spectrum, including in the Joondalup City Centre.
Innovation Fund grants may be applied and utilised for:
- Building online and digital capacities for innovative or creative business purposes in Joondalup’s small business sector.
- Assisting the development of innovative business proposals in micro or small business activities.
- Enhancing, in new and creative ways, the Joondalup City Centre business mix and vibrancy.
- Activation of Joondalup City Centre spaces for creative purposes utilising digital technologies.
- Innovative digital marketing (other than for specific products) which will enhance the Joondalup City Centre, and/or creative products and services.
- Advancing, in a business context, any of the initiatives in the projects/actions listed in Joondalup: Digital City.
Creative ideas are encouraged and initial discussions of concepts or proposals should be arranged by contacting the City via email or call 0430 960 021.
To be successful, applications are expected to demonstrate the project or program will result in transferable benefits across the business community in the digital technology spectrum, meet the objectives of Joondalup: Digital City and Expanding Horizons and potentially add to the vibrancy of the Joondalup City Centre. Funding for activities such as business marketing will only be considered where it will contribute to a larger project that achieves the objectives of the Innovation Fund.
To be eligible to receive an Innovation Fund grant an applicant should:
- Own or operate a micro or small business within the City of Joondalup, or propose plans to be relocated into this local government area.
- Hold a current Australian Business Number.
- Own or have a lease agreement for a space within the City of Joondalup which extends at least 12 months from the time the application is submitted; however this does not exclude home-based businesses or those proposing to relocate.
- Have the appropriate insurances, permits and licences.
Submissions from applicants outside the City of Joondalup may be considered, however they must clearly demonstrate direct benefits to the local business community and/or the wider Joondalup community and be consistent with the aims outlined.
Innovation Fund grant applications will be assessed on broad criteria, including the extent to which the project:
|Assessment Criteria || |
|Contributes towards the achievement of the Fund’s objectives of fostering innovation and creativity in the digital spectrum ||30% |
|Demonstrates business readiness, introduces a new or innovative digital product, process or service to the City, and fills a discernible business niche ||30% |
Facilitates networks, collaborations or clusters with other businesses or organisations
Leverages additional future business development and growth; generates local employment and income
Is sustainable and environmentally responsible
| 30% |
|Activates spaces which will benefit from added pedestrian traffic, vibrancy and attractions || 10% |
Applications will be considered by an Advisory and Assessment Panel and will follow a two-stage process:
Stage 1: Initially a broad outline of the project or program and the expected outcomes/benefits must be made in the template provided online, and may be submitted at any time. The Panel will review proposals on a regular basis to provide feedback, which may involve:
- Requesting further information or development.
- Declining to take the proposal to the next stage.
- Inviting the applicant to participate in Stage 2 for further consideration.
Stage 2: Submissions deemed by the Panel for further consideration will be invited to present their idea in a 10 minute Pitch Session at which the Panel may:
- Recommend providing a Grant from the Innovation Fund.
- Provide suggestions as to ways in which the proposal could be modified or recast to meet the aims of the Innovation Fund.
- Decline making a Grant from the Innovation Fund.
All applicants will be required to acknowledge that the City’s decision in relation to their grant application is final, and if declined is not subject to an appeals process. There is currently no closing date set for receiving applications, as submissions will be taken on a rolling basis for the balance of the 2015/16 year.
Applicants can view a full outline of the Innovation Fund process via the Information Kit.
To apply complete the Innovation Fund Online Form Application Form.
For further information contact the City via email or call Alan Heydon on 0430 960 021.