Sustainable transport is an important way we can reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve local areas. By using sustainable transport options, you will not only save time and money, you will be helping the environment and improving your heath.
Leave Your Car at Home
Traveling Smarter is about choosing healthy and sustainable alternatives to driving your car. This can include walking, cycling, taking public transport, car pooling or tele-working. There are two direct benefits of leaving the car at home:
Help the environment
- For every litre of petrol used, approximately 2.5 kilograms of carbon dioxide is released from your car’s exhaust
- Vehicle emissions are a major source of air pollution in Perth. To calculate your car emissions visit the Green Vehicle Guide.
Improve your family’s health
- Lack of physical activity is one of the major causes of obesity and more than two thirds of West Australian adults are either overweight or obese
- Walking and cycling, even just a couple of trips per week, will help keep you healthy.
There are also many indirect benefits of leaving the car at home including improved amenity and safety in our neighbourhoods and an increase in positive social interaction in the community. Visit the Department of Transport for more information about TravelSmart initiatives in Western Australia.
- Trips that you make every day, such as traveling to work or school, are the easiest trips to change. Organise a roster with neighbours and take turns to drive the children to school in one car
- Traveling to the local shops to hire or return a DVD, post a letter or buy groceries gives you a perfect opportunity to walk or cycle instead
- Share petrol costs and reduce greenhouse emissions by sharing a lift with a friend to work. Ask if your workplace has a car-pool.
Remember to always be courteous and Share the Path when using public footpaths.