12 Chalcombe Way, Warwick – Three Grouped Dwellings
The City has received and is currently assessing a planning application for the above.
A copy of the development plans can be viewed below.
As this proposal is considered to have a minimal impact on the broader area surrounding the subject property, notification letters relating to the proposal have only been sent to a selection of landowners and occupiers in the property’s immediate vicinity.
Higher density development in the City’s Housing Opportunity Areas is to meet the requirements of the City’s Local Planning Scheme No. 3, Development in Housing Opportunity Areas Local Planning Policy, and the State planning policy Residential Design Codes of Western Australia (R-Codes). Both policies are divided up into different ‘design elements’ (for example; site area, street setbacks, street walls and fences, open space, building height, parking, landscaping).
For all ‘design elements’, there are objectives that need to be met. There are two different ways that can be used to assess if the objectives are being met – known as ‘deemed-to-comply standards’ and ‘design principles’.
If the proposal meets the deemed-to-comply standards, it is automatically considered to meet the objective and should be approved in accordance with the requirements of the R-Codes.
Where the deemed-to-comply standards are not met, this does not necessarily mean that the proposal does not meet the objective. Instead, the City needs to exercise some judgement (referred to as ‘discretion’) in considering whether the proposal meets the design principles, which may result in a better built form outcome than a proposal which has met the ‘deemed-to-comply’ requirements.
In this circumstance, the applicant is asking the City to exercise discretion with regards to the following design elements:
- Reduced building setback to the south-eastern boundary;
- Units two and three built to two side lot boundaries;
- Unit 3 increased boundary wall height;
- No openable windows to Unit one laundry, Unittwo wash, WC and Unit three powder room;
- Reduced glazing to Unit three, Bed two;
- Unit two reduced open space;
- Unit three reduced living room minimum dimension;
- Unit three reduced outdoor living area minimum dimension;
- Portion of required landscaping does not meet required 1.5m minimum dimension;
- Portion of deep soil area provided for tree planting on site does not meet required minimum dimension.
You may wish to provide a submission on the proposal, as a written comment, by Friday 10 December 2021.
Submissions can be made via the online Planning Consultation Submission Form below, an email or via post to P.O. Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.
Submissions will be considered as part of the overall decision-making process.