19 Sycamore Drive, Duncraig – Four new two storey grouped dwellings
The City has received and is currently assessing a planning application for four new two-storey grouped dwellings at the above address.
A copy of the development plans can be viewed by clicking the link below.
All residential development in the City of Joondalup is required to meet the requirements of the Residential Design Codes of Western Australia (R-Codes) and the City’s Residential Development Local Planning Policy. Both are divided up into different ‘design elements’ (for example; site area, street setbacks, street walls and fences, open space, building height, parking, landscaping).
For all ‘design elements’, there are objectives that need to be met. There are two different ways that can be used to assess if the objectives are being met – known as ‘deemed-to-comply standards’ and ‘design principles’.
If the proposal meets the deemed-to-comply standards, it is automatically considered to meet the objective and should be approved in accordance with the requirements of the R-Codes.
Where the deemed-to-comply standards are not met, this does not necessarily mean that the proposal does not meet the objective. Instead, the City needs to exercise some judgement (referred to as ‘discretion’) in considering whether the proposal meets the design principles, which may result in a better built form outcome than a proposal which has met the ‘deemed-to-comply’ requirements.
In this circumstance the applicant is asking the City to exercise discretion with regards to the following design elements:
- Reduced communal street setbacks (internal)
- Reduced lot boundary setbacks for Units A to C
- Over-height and over-length internal boundary walls between units
- Boundary walls to more than one boundary (internal to units)
- Reduced open space for Units B and C
- Over-height building (Unit A)
- Minimum outdoor living area dimension for Units A and D less than 4m
- Outdoor living areas with excess permanent roof cover (Units A, C and D)
- Fill in excess of 0.5m within 1m of the left / west lot boundary with 17 Sycamore Drive
- Retaining wall with a nil setback to the left / west lot boundary with 17 Sycamore Drive
- Reduced privacy setbacks from balconies to Units B, C and D
- Store to Unit C less than 4m²
Other Scheme and Policy provisions requiring the exercise of discretion by the City include:
- Nil visitor parking within the verge
You may wish to provide a submission on the proposal, as a written comment, by 25 June 2019.
Submissions can be sent to the City via firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.
Submissions will be considered as part of the overall decision-making process and if you choose to make a submission, you will be notified of the outcome of the proposal.
For assistance in reviewing the plans or for more information on this proposal please contact the City on 9400 4100 or visit the City’s Administration Centre located at 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup.