23 Koombana Way, Kallaroo – Three new two storey grouped dwellings
The City has received and is currently assessing a planning application for three new two storey grouped dwellings at the above address.
A copy of the development plans can be viewed by clicking the link below.
All residential development in the City of Joondalup is required to meet the requirements of the Residential Design Codes of Western Australia (R-Codes) and the City’s Residential Development Local Planning Policy. Both are divided up into different ‘design elements’ (for example; site area, street setbacks, street walls and fences, open space, building height, parking, landscaping).
For all ‘design elements’, there are objectives that need to be met. There are two different ways that can be used to assess if the objectives are being met – known as ‘deemed-to-comply standards’ and ‘design principles’.
If the proposal meets the deemed-to-comply standards, it is automatically considered to meet the objective and should be approved in accordance with the requirements of the R-Codes.
Where the deemed-to-comply standards are not met, this does not necessarily mean that the proposal does not meet the objective. Instead, the City needs to exercise some judgement (referred to as ‘discretion’) in considering whether the proposal meets the design principles, which may result in a better built form outcome than a proposal which has met the ‘deemed-to-comply’ requirements.
In this circumstance the applicant is asking the City to exercise discretion with regards to the following design elements:
- Reduced lot frontage
- Reduced building setbacks to the north eastern boundary
- Units 1 and 2 having a reduced open space area
- Building wall height increase (note a skillion roof is proposed)
- Outdoor living area to units one and three having a minimum dimension less than 4 metres
- Outdoor living areas with greater than one third permanent roof cover;
- Reduced landscaping within street setback area;
- Proposed fill greater than 0.5 metres above natural ground level within 1 metre of a lot boundary; and
- Proposed retaining greater than 0.5 metres above natural ground level on the lot boundary.
You may wish to provide a submission on the proposal, as a written comment, by 31 May 2019.
Submissions can be sent to the City via email@example.com or posted to PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.
Submissions will be considered as part of the overall decision making process and if you choose to make a submission, you will be notified of the outcome of the proposal.
For assistance in reviewing the plans or for more information on this proposal please contact the City on 9400 4100 or visit the City’s Administration Centre located at 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup.