Cyber security industry set to thrive in Joondalup
With the soaring costs of cyber-crime threatening Australian and global businesses, the cyber security industry is set to replace the mining sector as the next jobs boom in Australia.
It is estimated there will be a global shortfall of more than 1.5 million cyber security professionals around the world by 2020.
With significant investment in Joondalup, the City is well-positioned to become a leading force in the cyber security industry.
Investment in cyber security to date
Cyber security developments at Edith Cowan University (ECU) Joondalup
Over recent years this includes:
- June 2017 – ECU became one of only two designated Academic Centres of Cyber Security Excellence in Australia
- September 2017 – ECU and the State Government announced as principal partners in a Government supported $50m Cyber Security Cooperative Research Centre (CRC)
- November 2017 – ECU Joondalup announced as the location of the Western Australian Government’s first Innovation Hub
- April 2018 – the Federal Government, in cooperation with State Government launched the CRC, which benefits from $140m in funding from 25 industry, government, university and research participants
- January 2019 – ECU appointed Dr Ian Martinus to lead the University’s industry engagement efforts in the cyber security sector. With a strong understanding of economic development and job creation activities nationally and globally, Dr Martinus will lead the new AustCyber WA Node at the Joondalup Innovation Hub on ECU’s Joondalup Campus. The Node’s main goals include job growth in the cyber security industry and collaborative opportunities between universities, government and the private sector. Key focus areas include critical infrastructure protection and management, cybercrime and big data.
Cyber security developments at North Metropolitan TAFE Joondalup
Furthering cyber expertise in Joondalup, Premier Mark McGowan, Education and Training Minister Sue Ellery, Emily Hamilton MLA and Sabine Winton MLA, joined North Metropolitan TAFE Managing Director, Michelle Hoad in February 2019, to open a Cyber Security Training Centre at the Joondalup campus . The new $356,000 Cyber Security Training Centre, which includes a dedicated hackers den, defence hub and control centre, will allow students to learn skills and explore real-world solutions to cyber crime in a safe environment.
Joondalup – location of choice for cyber security businesses
Joondalup companies such as Sapien Cyber are changing the industrial cyber security landscape by bringing together world-leading expertise with state-of-the-art technology. This company is reaping the benefits of locating their cyber security business in Joondalup.
“Sapien has experienced rapid growth in response to new business opportunities, with the benefits of co-location at ECU facilitating our ability to offer clients a world-class homegrown solution that manages the increasing complexities of maintaining secure operations in an evolving cyber threat landscape. Most recently, we have expanded our Operational Headquarters through the establishment of a Security Operations Centre (SOC), capable of providing 24/7 threat and vulnerability management services to our clients in the resources, corporate, manufacturing, government, transport and utilities sectors.
Foundational to this growth has been our proximity to ECU’s world renowned cyber security research expertise and our ability to recruit from ECU’s steady pool of skilled cyber security graduates, providing a viable a career path, which in turn helps Sapien stay ahead of the global cyber security skills shortage. Each factor contributes to ensuring our solution continues to evolve faster than the speed of cyber threat.” said Glenn Murray, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Sapien.
Cyber security education
Do you have IT or other staff in your organisation that need to develop their cyber security knowledge and skills? There are a range of options to consider in Joondalup:
- ECU short courses on Cyber Security Awareness and Cyber Security for Small Business
- NM TAFE cyber security courses – Cert III to Advanced Diploma
- ECU cyber security qualifications/courses – Graduate Certificate to Master of Cyber Security
Would you like to find more about the cyber security sector in Joondalup and be connected with key industry contacts? Please contact the City of Joondalup Economic Development team.