The objectives of bushfire management within the City of Joondalup include:
- protecting life, critical infrastructure, property and the environment
- fulfilling obligations under fire-related legislation and undertaking best-practice bushfire management
- maintaining and enhancing biodiversity values within natural areas
- ensuring long term survival of native wildlife populations
- minimising adverse impacts on regional air quality
- providing consistency within the City’s operations regarding bushfire management.
To reduce the risk of a fire occurrence within the City of Joondalup, several bushfire management actions have been implemented including:
- weed control (mechanical and chemical)
- installation and maintenance of firebreaks and fire access ways on City owned or managed land
- annual firebreak inspections on all vacant land and bushland within the City
- annual fuel load assessments on bushland greater than 2,000m²/0.2ha
- controlled access to sites
- community education.