Bushfire risk management
The objectives of bushfire management within the City of Joondalup include:
- Protecting life, critical infrastructure, property and the environment
- Fulfilling obligations under bushfire-related legislation and undertaking best-practice bushfire management
- Maintaining and enhancing biodiversity values within natural areas
- Ensuring long term survival of native wildlife populations
- Minimising adverse impacts on regional air quality
- Providing consistency within the City’s operations regarding bushfire risk management.
To reduce the risk of a bushfire occurrence within the City of Joondalup, several bushfire management actions have been implemented including:
- Weed control (mechanical and chemical)
- Installation and maintenance of firebreaks and fire access ways on City owned or managed land
- Annual firebreak and bushfire hazard inspections on all vacant land and bushland within the City
- Fuel assessments on bushland greater than 2,000m²/0.2ha
- Controlled access to sites
- Community education.