Dividing fences: liaising with your neighbour

Neighbour agreement may be required prior to making any changes to a dividing fence. Refer to Dividing fence matters – overview from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) website which provide details on owner responsibilities.

It is suggested you liaise with your neighbour verbally and follow up any agreements in writing relating to a dividing fence dispute. Example letters are available from DMIRS.

If you do not know the name of the owner of the property next door, you may be able to get neighbours details by:

  • Checking with the tenants or property manager if the property is rented or leased
  • Performing a land title search through Landgate
  • Contacting the City’s Rating Services to request neighbour’s details in relation to a dividing fence matter

Mediation service

The City is unable to direct your neighbour to construct a sufficient fence and has no statutory ability within the Dividing Fences Act 1961 to direct or provide adjudication of costs or repairs. A free mediation service is offered by the City when agreement can not be reached.

If you would like to use this service contact the City’s Customer Relations.

If you have tried mediation and can’t reach an agreement the Magistrates Court can deal with issues in relation to dividing fences.