Electoral roll

Residents who live in the City and are enrolled to vote in the State or Federal elections for where they live are automatically enrolled to vote. Owners or occupiers of rateable land who live outside of the district or ward in which the property is located may be entitled to nominate two people to vote on their behalf.

The City’s electoral roll used for Council elections is comprised of two parts: the resident’s roll and the non-residents owners and occupiers roll. Combining these two rolls produces a consolidated roll.

Residents’ Roll

People who reside in the City (irrespective of whether they own the property or are tenants) and who are on the state electoral roll for that property, will automatically be on the residents’ roll and can vote in the City of Joondalup local government election. No separate enrolment for the City is necessary.

Enquiries about the residents roll should be directed to the Western Australian Electoral Commission on 13 63 06 or check your enrolment eligibility status through the Western Australian Electoral Commission website.

Non-resident owners and occupiers roll

The non-resident owners and occupiers roll is maintained by the City. It includes individuals who own (but do not reside in) rateable property in the City or who occupy rateable property in the City. It also includes individuals nominated by companies, businesses or corporate bodies that own or occupy rateable property in the City. Each person applying to go onto this roll must be on the state or commonwealth electoral roll for a property outside the City’s district.

Any person who is not an Australian citizen (and thus not eligible to be on the state or commonwealth electoral roll) may still be able to vote in local government elections if the person appeared on the City’s 1996 electoral roll, and has owned or occupied rateable property within the ward continuously since at least March 1996.

Individuals or corporate bodies may only be on the roll or represented on the roll in one capacity, that is, either as owners or occupiers. Where both capacities are available to an individual or a body corporate, the owner category would normally be chosen because of the longer term on the roll.