Interlibrary lending – changes
From September 1 2018, as a result of a joint review between the State Library of Western Australia and representatives from the Public Libraries WA Group, what can be requested via Public Libraries Interlibrary Loans will change.
The following items cannot be requested on interlibrary loan:
- No items less than twelve months old both fiction and non-fiction
- No junior fiction or YA items – some exceptions for YA graphic novels over 12 months old
- No audiobooks, music or DVDs
There are exceptions for people with special needs including disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds where books in languages other than English are needed.
Impacts of the changes will be reviewed over the next 12 months. Joondalup Libraries will endeavour to adjust our purchasing to anticipate items of need where possible.
Frequently asked questions
- Is there an ILL Loan limit?
There is no ILL loan limit per borrower per year.
- Can we request/lend new items?
Anything 12 months old or less cannot be requested, or loaned. This includes all categories and formats.
- Can we request/lend DVDs, music CDs or audiobooks?
DVDs and CDs cannot be requested or loaned. This includes Fiction & Non-fiction.
- Can we request/lend Junior items?
JF and JK items cannot be requested or loaned.
- Can we request/lend YA items?
YA items cannot to be requested or loaned.
- Can we request/lend materials in languages other than English (LOTE)?
LOTE items are exempted from the restrictions. They can be requested and loaned regardless of age.
Relevant formats for people with Disabilities. Access to information for people with disabilities in a format that will enable them to access the information as readily as other people are able to access it – as per Disability Service Regulations 2004.