Keeping miniature animals

Residents may apply to keep one miniature pig or miniature horse in a residential area by seeking approval and maintaining an annual registration. The animal is to be kept confined to the property at all times. There are restrictions and requirements under the City’s Animals Local Law 1999 for keeping a miniature pig or miniature horse.

In addition, owners of a miniature pig or miniature horse are also required to register their animal with the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.

Keeping a large animal such as a pig, horse, sheep, cow, deer, alpaca, goat or the like is prohibited in most areas of Joondalup.

View fees and charges.

Application requirements

  • Completed application form
  • Copy of the sterilisation certificate
  • Copy of veterinary treatment for roundworm and tapeworm.

Lodging an application

You can lodge an application in the following ways:

Lodge an application online

  • Download an application form and submit it:
    • In person – by visiting the City’s Customer Service Centres
    • By post – City of Joondalup, PO Box 21, JOONDALUP  WA  6919.