There are many sources of noise in residential areas.

Where noise is causing a problem, the best approach is often to speak with your neighbour and discuss your concerns. Your neighbour may not realise that there is a problem and the matter may be easy to resolve.

Where there are ongoing noise issues that cannot be resolved, the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 can apply. The City’s Environmental Health Officers can be contacted and asked to investigate noise issues.

The types of noise issues often investigated include:

  • Playing loud music
  • Practising musical instruments
  • Party noise
  • Construction work occurring at unreasonable times
  • The use of lawn mowers or handheld tools at unreasonable times
  • Pool pumps, air conditioning units or other similar equipment
  • Intruder alarms

Depending upon the source of noise, there are different requirements that can apply. For more information, please refer to the various website articles related to noise, displayed on the right hand side of this page.

Lodging a Noise Complaint

If noise is disturbing you and you believe that the requirements for noise are not being met, you can ask the City to investigate the matter for you, by lodging a noise complaint with the City.

When lodging a noise complaint, you will be advised which Environmental Health Officer will be investigating your concerns and you may be asked to maintain a log identifying dates and times of the noise occurrences.

A noise complaint can be lodged using the online form Noise – make a noise complaint.

Assistance for After Hours Noise

For assistance for noise that occurs outside of business hours, you may contact City Rangers. You are requested not to make more than two calls to City Rangers for the same occurrence, and if the noise continues, you could consider contacting the WA Police. Please note that the WA Police must prioritise calls for assistance and they may not be able to attend as soon as you would like.