Occupancy permit applications

An occupancy permit is a certificate which allows you to move into a commercial property and/or run a business.

An occupancy permit is required when you intend to:

  • Occupy a new commercial building when completed or a new part of an existing commercial building
  • Occupy a commercial building that is incomplete or part of a commercial building on a temporary basis
  • Occupy a commercial building or part of a commercial building that has undergone a permanent change of use or change of classification
  • Authorise commercial works that do not have a building permit
  • Modify the current occupancy permit for an additional use of a commercial building on a temporary basis.

Further information can be found on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website A guide to the building approvals process in Western Australia.

Application requirements

Please refer to the certified application checklist for occupancy permit and building approval certificate for information that is required to be submitted.

A private building surveyor is required to assess the documentation and issue a certificate prior to lodging the application with the City. Details of private building surveyors are available from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website.

Fees are in accordance with the Building Services: fees and charges.

Application forms

BA9 application for occupancy permit


In person

Visit the City of Joondalup Administration Centre, 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup.

By post

Post the application to the City at PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.

Once the application is lodged, an officer will conduct a preliminary assessment. If further information is required, you will be contacted in writing.


The City has 10 working days to assess and complete an occupancy permit application.

If the application is incomplete, the City will write to the applicant and request further information. The additional information must be supplied within 21 days or within a timeframe agreed to by the City.