Pensioners and Seniors FAQs
If you have a valid concession card you could qualify for a rebate or a deferment on paying your rates. To qualify, ratepayers must meet all the following criteria:
- You must be the owner and occupier of the property at 1 July 2019
- You must hold a valid Pensioner Concession Card, State Concession Card, WA Seniors Card, or both a WA Seniors Card and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card. Ratepayers meeting the above criteria must pay their portion of the general rates (including Specified Area Rate), Emergency Services Levy, all arrears and service charges by 30 June 2020. It is not possible to get an extension to pay the rebate amount after 30 June 2020.
How do I apply for a pensioner/ senior rebate?
- Complete an application online and the Water Corporation will then forward a copy of your completed application to the City
- Contact the Water Corporation on 1300 659 951 to complete a phone application. The Water Corporation will then forward a copy of your completed application to the City. The concession will apply from the date your application is received by the Water Corporation.
What happens if I receive a Seniors Card or a Pensioner Concession Card during the financial year?
Partial concessions are available to pensioners and seniors who become eligible during the financial year. The partial concession will apply from the date your application is received by the Water Corporation.
Do I get a pensioner/senior rebate on the Emergency Services Levy?
Seniors and pensioners who qualify for a rebate for their general rates will receive the same percentage rebate on the Emergency Services Levy. Pensioners who are eligible to defer their general rates may also defer their Emergency Services Levy.
Is there a maximum rebate amount for pensioners/seniors?
Pensioners who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 50% of the current year’s general rates (including Specified Area Rate), capped to a maximum amount which is reviewed annually by the State Government. The maximum amount for the 2019/20 financial year is $750.00. There is no maximum capped amount for the pensioners rebate for the Emergency Services Levy. Seniors who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 25% of the current years general rates (including Specified Area Rate), capped to a maximum amount of $100.00 for the 2019/20 financial year. There is no maximum or capped amount for the seniors rebate for the Emergency Services Levy.
What are my payment options?
1. Claim your rebate
There is no pensioner rebate on the Refuse Charge (including any fee for Additional 240L Refuse Bin) and Pool Inspection Fee and they must be paid on or before 23 August 2019. You will need to pay your portion of the general rates, Specified Area Rate (if any), Emergency Services Levy, all arrears and service charges in full by 30 June 2020, in order to receive your rebate which the City will claim from the State Government on your behalf.
2. Defer the general rates and Emergency Services Levy on your property
- The Refuse Charge (including any fee for Additional 240L Refuse Bin) and Pool Inspection Fee must be paid on or before 23 August 2019 and cannot be deferred
- The deferral option is not available for life tenants, seniors or pensioners entitled to a rebate of less than 50%
- If you are eligible and choose to defer your rates, the full rates amount and Emergency Services Levy will be deferred and remain as a charge on your property until it is sold, or you move from the property. No interest will apply to the deferred amount
What happens if my circumstances change or I no longer receive a pension?
If any of your circumstances change, such as your concession card type, your pension type, you change address, or you are no longer eligible, you must notify the City immediately on 9400 4574.
Who determines the rulings for pensioners and seniors?
The Office of State Revenue determines all rules in relation to the rebates and deferments for pensioners and seniors. The City administers the rules regarding pensioner/seniors rebates and deferment of rates. For further information on Pensioner and Senior Concessions, contact the City on 9400 4574.