The City encourages public participation in its decision-making process, either by asking questions or making statements at Council meetings or Briefing Sessions.
In person public statements to a Briefing Session must relate to a matter listed on the Briefing Session Agenda. In person public statements to a Council meeting can relate to any matter the City has responsibility for.
A maximum of two minutes per public statement is provided to ensure maximum participation at a meeting. Written statements cannot be submitted beforehand.
Those persons wish to make a public statement at a Council or Briefing Session will have their request registered. The Mayor may call persons registered to come forward in an order that allows the maximum opportunity for as many people as possible to address the meeting on the widest range of matters that are listed in the agenda.
Time permitting, opportunity may also be offered to members of the public who have not registered their request and who may be in attendance.
For further information please view the below procedures for Strategy Sessions, Briefing Sessions and Council / Committee Meetings.
Please be advised in relation to COVID public health measures:
On Tuesday 26 April 2022, the Premier announced that COVID public health measures will be eased in Western Australia.
From 12.01am Friday 29 April 2022 the following will apply to the Council Chambers and Civic Centre building:
- Masks are no longer required however, will be encouraged where physical distancing is not possible.
- Capacity limits will be removed.
- Check-in requirements are no longer required.
- Access doors to the Civic Centre Building will be no longer be locked prior to a public Briefing/Council meeting however, City Staff and Security staff will be present to provide assistance to members of the public and to ensure public safety is maintained.
- Hand sanitiser will continue to be provided by the City and members of the public are encouraged to use it when required.
- City staff will continue to clean the public microphone/lectern following each use.
- Members of the public are encouraged not to attend a meeting should they feel unwell or if they have been in contact with a known Covid-19 case.