Everyone can do their bit to reduce water use in the home and garden to minimise environmental impacts. Follow these simple tips to save water in your home and garden:
- Turn taps off tightly so they don’t drip
- Fix leaking toilets, taps and showerheads
- Install waterwise showerheads, mixer basin taps and dual flush toilets
- Install flow restrictors in taps
- Keep showers to four minutes or less
- Choose local native plants that are adapted your garden’s soil type and climate
- Add mulch to your garden to reduce water loss through evaporation from the soil surface
- Greywater and rainwater are sustainable water sources that can be used to substitute scheme and ground (bore) water. Find out about installing a greywater system and rainwater tanks
- Consider drip irrigation systems which deliver water directly to the root systems so there is minimal water loss
- Use of a swimming pool cover reduces evaporation by up to 97 per cent and helps keep your pool warmer and cleaner.
For further information on water saving visit the Water Corporation.