Urban Couture | Western Australian Born and Bred will run from Monday 13 April – Sunday 10 May 2020.
Urban Couture is a dynamic creative program that aims to support the Western Australian Fashion industry and bring fashion designers, photographers, textile artists and creative business entrepreneurs into the northern corridor of Perth. In 2020, the program will be entering its tenth year, and has solidified its place as a leading program in the Perth fashion calendar. It highlights students and emerging designers who are challenging the conventions and public perceptions of fashion by placing work within exhibitions, industry and performance environments.
Each year the Urban Couture program engages a variety of creative disciplines, including but not limited to: stylists, graphic designers, professional photographers, musicians, performing artists, textile designers, models, hair and make-up artists, fashion illustrators and visual artists.
In 2013, the City introduced an Ambassadorial component to the project to increase media coverage for the events throughout the program. The ambassador role has been appointed to a variety of Australian models, designers and artists over the last seven years, including:
- 2013 – Renae Ayris, Miss Universe Australia 2013
- 2014 – Samantha Harris, Aboriginal Australian model
- 2015 – Jaime Lee Major, Western Australian designer
- 2016 – Romance Was Born, Australian designers
- 2017 – Karen Walker, International designer (New Zealand)
- 2018 – Patricia Field, International costume designers (New York)
- 2019 – Jenny Kee and Linda Jackson, International Designers (Australia)