Luminight to Light Up Joondalup in March
The City of Joondalup has announced a COVID-safe, family-friendly event that is set to transform Central Park.
Luminight will feature captivating light installations by renowned Western Australian lighting designer Christian Lovelady, allowing attendees to immerse themselves in an interactive and exciting environment over a two-hour session.
The event will be held across three nights from Friday 26 to Sunday 28 March, with two sessions per night beginning at 6.00pm and 8.30pm.
The Luminight site will be separated into three zones: Play, Illuminate and Imagine that will feature a number of exciting activations and entertainment tailored to these areas. Food trucks will be on hand to ensure attendees can satisfy their cravings.
Entry is free however the event will be ticketed to ensure the number of attendees can be capped and suitable contact tracing can take place.
Luminight will be held in place of the Joondalup Festival, which was cancelled last month due to uncertainty around the COVID-19 pandemic.
Joondalup Mayor Albert Jacob said despite a tough year for the arts industry, the City remained committed to delivering world class entertainment for residents and visitors.
“The City aspires to be a destination for families to live, businesses to locate and visitors to explore, and events such as Luminight achieve this objective,” Mayor Jacob said.
“There will be an interactive maze and silent disco as well as WA’s best circus performers Zap Circus and live sets from talented WA musicians.
“We are obviously disappointed not to be holding the Joondalup Festival again in 2021, but Luminight allows the City to provide the community with a family friendly event where COVID-safe measures can be implemented.
“The health and wellbeing of our residents and visitors to the City remains our primary concern, and last month’s Music in the Park concert at Seacrest Park demonstrated that successful family-friendly events that are COVID-safe are still achievable.
“We are thrilled to bring this event to Central Park and allow families to enjoy the cultural entertainment on offer as well as the other attractions and hospitality options available in our City Centre.”
The City acknowledges the valuable contribution of Lotterywest as a Major Supporter of Luminight.
Zone Play will feature:
- Zap Circus is WA’s award-winning Fire, SPFX and Circus Performance company. Performing their biggest and best acts from their CIRCUS FIRE Spectacular show (Recently performed at Fringe Festival). Performing twice per session.
- Illuminated Swings and Seesaws
- Roving entertainment – The Bots bounce stilt walkers
- Maze with hunt activity
- Light up wands craft activity for children (available in the first session only)
- Youth Services activation
- Food trucks
Zone Illuminate will feature:
- WA lighting designer Christian Loveladylights up Central Park! Race against the speed of the lights with the ‘Light Racer’, discover the underwater light show ‘The Waterhole’, explore the large lighting installation ‘The Beacon’
- Light Racer – 18 pillars of light that patrons can race
- The Waterhole – an animated light feature
- Beacon Light installation – Large lighting installation
- Instagrammable Neon structures
Zone Imagine will feature:
- Lilypad Community Art Project. This beautiful installation will be on display in the ponds at Central Park South. The City has engaged with 11 schools, creating over 800 lily pads with artist Sean Adamas.
- Silent Disco
- Roving Entertainment: Light Up Hoop show – performing 2x per session; Light Up Orb Ballerinas
- Live music from talented WA Musicians
- Food trucks