Sacred Heart College – Revised Proposal (SAT Reconsideration) – Additional land use (Community Purpose)
In May 2017 the City received an application from Sacred Heart College to allow for the performing arts building and recently constructed gymnasium to be hired out to non-college community groups or organisations for events and functions outside of school hours.
Following community consultation in July 2017 and August 2018, the application was presented to Council at its meeting in September 2018 where the application was refused.
Following this refusal the College exercised its right through the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) to seek a review of Council’s decision.
As part of the SAT review the College prepared a modified proposal which was presented to Council in April 2019 where Council approved the application, subject to a number of conditions.
The College is concerned with a number of the conditions imposed by Council and has prepared a further modified proposal for consideration.
The modified proposal relates to changes to the Event Management Plan and includes:
- Adding an additional tier of ‘Events’ to the EMP and restricting the number of ‘Tier 1 Events’ that may take place per year.
- Increasing the maximum number of ‘Event Participants’ to better reflect the total number of people associated with an event including audience members, performers and support staff.
- Reducing the size of an ‘Incidental Event’ from up to 150 people to up to 100 people.
- Excluding ‘Incidental Events’ from the overall cap of events.
- Amending the finishing time for events (including pack up and vacating the building) from 9.30pm to 10.00pm. Events held on Sundays and Public Holidays are still proposed to finish at 5.00pm.
- Marginally amending the definition of ‘Normal School Hours’ from ‘8.00am to 4.00pm’ to ‘7.30am to 4.00pm’.
A revised traffic technical note has also been submitted to assess the potential traffic impacts of increasing the maximum number of ‘Event Participants’.
The City is currently considering these changes and seeks further comments on the modified proposal.
The modified Event Management Plan and revised traffic technical note are available for your review by clicking the links below. A ‘tracked change’ copy of the Event Management Plan is also available to view which identifies the changes that are proposed from the current, approved version.
These documents are also available for viewing at the City of Joondalup Administration Centre, located at 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup.
If you wish to make a submission on the modified proposal, comments must be submitted by no later than Thursday 25 July 2019, and should be addressed to City of Joondalup, PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the City does not receive a submission within the 14 day comment period, it will be assumed that you do not wish to comment on the proposal and the application will be assessed and determined without any further consultation.