Avoid – prevent waste in the first instance
- Maintain and repair items rather than disposing of them
- Grow your own fruit, vegetables, herbs and nuts at home
- Purchase quality products that have no or minimal packaging.
Reduce – to produce less waste
- Refuse single plastic e.g. cups and straws
- Purchase in bulk where possible
- Say no to junk mail
- Only purchase what you need.
Reuse – use the same item more than once
- Take your own reusable shopping and produce bags to the shops
- Consider hosting a garage sale
- Find creative ways to repurpose waste for practical purposes, art projects or gifts
- Consider purchasing eco-friendly products made from recycled materials
- Opt for reusable rather than disposable products, such as keep cups instead of disposable coffee cups, carry your own utensils to avoid single use knives, forks and spoons
- Take reusable items to the REUSE shop at Tamala Park.
Recycle – converting waste materials into new materials and objects
- Recycle all paper, cardboard, milk and juice cartons, glass bottles and jars, aluminium and steel cans, plastic bottles and containers in the yellow lid recycling bin
- Green waste from the lime green lid is turned into compost
- Place food or garden waste in a compost or worm farm at home
- Instead of putting soft plastic in the red lid bin, take it to a REDcycle location
- Take eligible containers to a Containers for Change drop off point
- Clean and undamaged clothes can be donated to a local charity shop
- Local schools can participate in a waste education program funded by the City of Joondalup, please visit this page or call 9400 4077 for further information.
Please refer to the A-Z Waste Disposal Guide to ensure you are sorting your waste correctly.