The City encourages public participation in its decision-making process, either by asking questions or making statements at Council meetings or Briefing Sessions.
Questions to a Briefing Session must relate to a matter listed on the Briefing Session Agenda. Questions to a Council meeting can relate to any matter the City has responsibility for.
Up to five written questions can be lodged by residents and/or ratepayers of the City prior to a Briefing Session or a Council meeting and need to be lodged via email by 9.00am the day immediately prior to the relevant meeting.
Answers to questions received within that timeframe will, where practicable, be provided in hard copy at the relevant meeting.
Alternatively, up to two verbal questions can be asked in person by a member of the public at the relevant meeting.
Those persons wish to ask a question verbally at a Council or Briefing Session will have their request registered. The Mayor may call persons registered to come forward in an order that allows the maximum opportunity for as many people as possible to address the meeting on the widest range of matters listed on the agenda.
Time permitting, opportunity may also be offered to members of the public who have not registered their request and who may be in attendance.
For further information, please view the below procedures for Strategy Sessions, Briefing Sessions and Council / Committee Meetings.
Please be advised in relation to COVID public health measures:
On Tuesday 26 April 2022, the Premier announced that COVID public health measures will be eased in Western Australia.
From 12:01am Friday 29 April 2022 the following will apply to the Council Chambers and Civic Centre building:
- Masks are no longer required however, will be encouraged where physical distancing is not possible.
- Capacity limits will be removed.
- Check-in requirements are no longer required.
- Access doors to the Civic Centre Building will be no longer be locked prior to a public Briefing/Council meeting however, City Staff and Security staff will be present to provide assistance to members of the public and to ensure public safety is maintained.
- Hand sanitiser will continue to be provided by the City and members of the public are encouraged to use it when required.
- City staff will continue to clean the public microphone/lectern following each use.
- Members of the public are encouraged not to attend a meeting should they feel unwell or if they have been in contact with a known Covid-19 case.
Further information can be provided by contacting the Governance Coordinator on 9400 4369.