The federal government is in the process of developing the National Road Safety Strategy 2020-2031 which will inform Western Australia’s recently released road safety strategy Driving Change – Road Safety Strategy 2020-2030.
The national and state strategies adopt a safe system approach which is a holistic approach to road safety. Within the WA’s Road Safety Framework there are five key priorities:
- Safe road users – supporting positive cultural change
- Safe roads – building safe roads and road systems
- Safe vehicles – encouraging and promoting the uptake of safety technology
- Safe speeds – supporting and implementing speed reforms
- Post crash response – reducing the impacts of road crashes.
The priorities enable a holistic approach to the road system and how they interact with each other.