- Maintain and repair items rather than disposing of them
- Grow your own fruit, vegetables, herbs and nuts at home
- Purchase quality products that have no or minimal packaging
- Take your own reusable shopping bags to the shops.
- Consider hosting a garage sale
- Find creative ways to repurpose waste for practical purposes, art projects or gifts
- Place food or garden waste in a compost or worm farm at home
- Consider purchasing eco-friendly products made from recycled materials
- Opt for reusable rather than disposable products, such as keep cups instead of disposable coffee cups, carry your own utensils to avoid single use knives, forks and spoons.
- Recycle all paper, cardboard, milk and juice cartons, glass bottles and jars, aluminium and steel cans, plastic bottles and containers in the yellow lid recycling bin
- Place food scraps into the red lid general waste bin, where they will be transported to the Resource Recovery Facility where the organic contents are composted
- Green waste from the lime green lid, green waste bin is turned into compost
- Local schools can participate in a recycling education program funded by the City of Joondalup, please call 9400 4392 for further information.
For further information about reducing waste, attend a free Earth Carers course run by the Mindarie Regional Council.