Avoid, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Recover
There are a couple of waste education opportunities for schools which are curriculum aligned and delivered by professional educators. Schools can access any of these programs:
- The City of Joondalup’s sponsored Recycling Educator, Suez, deliver The Recoverables program. The Recoverables program is:
- Free and presented by an experienced educator
- Varies in duration depending on the lesson/s selected by the school
- Adaptable for any age group from pre-school to Year 6
- Suitable for groups of up to 35 students
- Suez’s Waste Education Officer will visit schools and conduct the lesson/s in which the school has selected. For further information or to make a booking, contact the Suez Waste Education Officer on 0448 034 260.
- The Waste Authority also offer the WasteSorted schools program.
Linked to geography and science content descriptors and the sustainability cross curriculum priority in the Australian Curriculum. Key components covered include:
- The importance of waste minimisation
- What it means to: Avoid, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Recover
- What happens to recyclables once collected
- The importance of protecting the environment through changes in our everyday activities.
There are many other ways in which schools can be involved:
Keep up to date on what the City has available for schools by subscribing to the School Connections Newsletter.
For more information about what can go into your kerbside bins, please refer to the Waste Guide 2022-23 or the Waste Disposal Guide. Feel free to get in touch with the City’s Waste Education Officer on 9400 4077 if you would like any more information.