Business signage: approval requirements

Permanent signs are required to comply with the provisions of the City’s Signs Policy  A ‘sign’, ‘advertisement’ and ‘advertising device’ have the same meaning. Permanent signs are not permitted on the verge/Crown Land.

Planning requirements

Unless exempted under the City’s Signs Policy, an application for development (planning) approval is required for external signage, or signage that can be viewed externally from a premise. Please refer to the Development (Planning) Approval Requirements  for application requirements. Fees are accordance with the Planning Services Fees and Charges.

The City’s Signs Policy provides information on the planning requirements for commercial signage.

Building requirements

All permanent signs (signs erected for longer than one month) require a building permit prior to construction. The following information is to be submitted as part of the building requirements:

There are two types of building permit applications:

  • Certified – an application that has been assessed by a private building surveyor and then lodged with the City for a building permit to be issued. Details of private building surveyors can be found on the Department of Mines, Industry, Regulation and Safety website.
  • Uncertified – an application where the assessment is carried out by the City for a building permit to be issued

Application requirements

Refer to the building permit application checklists for information that is required to be submitted with certified or uncertified building permits. Fees are in accordance with the Building Services: Fees and Charges.


You can lodge your application:

Please refer to the City’s eApplication service.

In person
Visit the City of Joondalup Administration Centre, 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup.

By post
Post your application to the City at PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.