Development (Planning) application requirements

On 18 December 2020, the Planning Regulation Amendment Regulations 2020 were gazetted by the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC). These amendments introduce various improvements to local planning processes and the first stage of these changes became operational on 15 February 2021. In the context of development applications, the amendments generally relate to the following:

  • Exemption of small residential developments (such as some patios, water tanks, cubby houses etc),
  • The introduction of a ‘deemed-to-comply’ check process so a preliminary assessment can be undertaken by the local government to determine if planning approval is required for single houses, as well as
  • Removing the need for planning approval for certain change of use applications.

The Regulation amendments will mean some of the City’s processes will change, so people who frequently do business with the City’s Planning Services may find the assessment process different to normal practise. This includes (but not limited to) requiring all of the necessary information up-front as part of the application and the City only sending one ‘request for information’ for non-complex applications to address any issues identified during the assessment.

In addition, some of the City’s policies and information sheets will be superseded by the changes introduced by WAPC. The City is currently in the process of updating the City’s documents, but in the meantime, if any inconsistency exists between the Regulations and City’s information, the Regulations will prevail.

As a result, certain development which currently requires planning approval may be exempt from 15 February 2021. For further information on the specific exemptions under the Amendment Regulations, please visit the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage website or contact the City’s Planning Services on 9400 4100.


The City’s development (planning) application checklists outlines the information required to be provided as part of your application. This generally includes:

In addition to a development application, a building permit may also be required.


The fee associated with a development application varies depending on the value and type of development proposed.

Planning services schedule of fees


You can lodge a development application via the following methods:


Lodge your application

In person

Visit the City of Joondalup Administration Centre, 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup

By post

Post your application to the City at PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.

To assist in enabling the City to process applications as quickly as possible it is necessary to ensure all relevant information is provided at the time of lodgement, and additional information required through the assessment is provided promptly.

Prior to the application being accepted by the City it will be checked to ensure all necessary information has been provided. If any further information is required prior to the City accepting the application, the applicant will be notified of the required information.

If your application is considered complete and is accepted, further plans and/or information may need to be requested following a detailed planning assessment prior to the City being able to determine the application.