Building permit application requirements

There are two types of building permit applications:

  • Certified – an application that has been assessed by a private building surveyor and then lodged with the City for a building permit to be issued. Details of private building surveyors can be found on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website.
  • Uncertified – an application where the assessment is carried out by the City for a building permit to be issued.

Application requirements

Refer to the building permit application checklists at the bottom of the page for information on what is required to be submitted with certified or uncertified building permit applications.

Application forms

BA1 Application for building permit certified

BA2 Application for building permit uncertified


Please refer to the Building Services: fees and charges.


You can lodge your building permit application:


Please refer to the City’s eApplication service.

In person

Visit the City of Joondalup Administration Centre, 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup.

By post

Post your application to the City at PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.

Once your application is lodged, an officer will conduct a preliminary assessment of your application. If further information is required, you will be contacted in writing.

Please be aware that the assessment may determine the requirement for a development (planning) application to be submitted by the City and approved prior to the building permit being issued.

Development (planning) application

In addition to a building permit application, a development (planning) application may be required.

A building permit application and development (planning) application can be lodged at the same time. The building permit application can only be finalised once the development (planning) application has been approved.