Public buildings: approval requirements

A public building is a building, place or part of a building where people may assemble for:

  • Civic, theatrical, social, political or religious purposes
  • Educational purposes
  • Entertainment, recreational or sporting purposes and
  • Business purposes.

Examples include, churches, private schools, cinemas, nightclubs, public swimming pools, concert halls, auditoriums and circuses.

Before a public building can be occupied, a certificate of approval is required to be issued.

For temporary events, additional information is also available on Public buildings: event approvals. Should you wish to provide food at your premises please refer to Food Business Registration.

Application requirements

  • Form One – Application to construct extend or alter a public building is to be submitted in circumstances where a building permit is not required.
  • Form Two – To be submitted when the construction of a public building is completed and ready for occupancy.
  • Application fee, in accordance with the Environmental Health Schedule of Fees and Charges (not required if a building permit is to be applied for).
  • Form Five – To be completed and submitted for all electrical works within the building.

Lodging an application

You can lodge an application for a certificate of approval:

  • In person – Visit the City of Joondalup Administration Centre, 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup.
  • By Post – To the City at PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.

Development (Planning) approval

Development (Planning) approval may be required for a public building.

Building permit requirements

A Building permit application may also be required. To confirm if a building permit is required, please place your request in writing to the City’s Building Services, outlining what is proposed.