Recycling bin (yellow lid)
What you can put into your yellow lid recycling bin?
- Clean rigid plastics – bottles and containers, rigid plastic containers
- Clean paper and cardboards – milk and juice cartons, magazines, newspaper, egg cartons, cereal boxes
- Clean aluminium and steel – food, drink and pet food cans
- Clean glass – (including broken glass) – food and drink bottles and jars.
What you cannot put in your yellow lid recycling bin
- Nappies and animal waste
- Plastic bags and soft plastics
- Organic waste – garden clippings, food waste
- Electronic waste
- Medical waste and syringes
- Clothing and textiles
- Ceramics – plates, mugs etc
- Hazardous waste (paint and paint tins, chemicals, asbestos)
- Shredded paper
- Bottle tops/lids
- UHT containers (long life)
- Keep recyclables loose and not in bags
- Flatten cardboard boxes and squash plastic bottles and cans
- Remove lids from all bottles, jars, containers – place lids in red lid general waste bin
- Rinse items
Missed or half emptied bins
If your recycling bin was missed/not emptied on your collection day please phone SUEZ on 9350 7196.
Car battery and engine oil recycling
As of 29 March 2021, the City of Joondalup has indefinitely ceased the kerbside collection of used car batteries and motor oils.
Batteries, oil and other hazardous products must not be disposed of in household waste and recycling bins. These items pose a risk to staff, vehicles and sorting equipment during the collection and processing of waste and recycling.
This decision has been made in response to occupational health and safety concerns, particularly regarding the handling and transport, as well as the risks to the community and the environment when hazardous items are placed in domestic collections.
There is however several drop off centres that residents can continue to effectively and safely dispose of batteries and motor oils, free of charge:
- Tamala Park Recycling Facility, 1700 Marmion Avenue, Mindarie
- Recycling Centre Balcatta, 238 Balcatta Road, Balcatta
- Wangara Greens Recycling Facility, 70 Motivation Drive, Wangara
- Various retail outlets that sell batteries and engine oils who have disposal options which may be local to you