Skin penetration premises: approval requirements
Skin penetration is a procedure which incorporates the skin or mucous membrane being cut, punctured, torn or shaved. Skin penetration includes:
- Dermal anchors
- 3-D art or body modifications
- Beauty therapy procedures such as waxing, shaving, tweezing and electrolysis
The Health (Skin Penetration Procedure) Regulations 1998 adopts the Code of Practice for Skin Penetration Procedures. This Code of Practice is the City’s standard in relation to skin penetration practices and premises. Under the Regulations, the owner of an establishment must notify the City prior to construction, fit out or operation of a skin penetration premise and must also ensure the establishment and procedures comply with the Code.
- Application form
- Detailed plans and specifications of the proposed premises, including:
scaled site plan, floor plans, internal elevations, and schedule of materials and finishes.
- A list of all the procedures to be undertaken on the premises.
- Application fee, in accordance with the Environmental Health Schedule of Fees and Charges.
Lodging an application
You can lodge an application:
Online (preferred) – Please refer to the City’s e-application service and select Environmental Health Applications; or
By completing the application form and submitting it:
- In person – Visit the City of Joondalup Administration Centre, 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup.
- By post to the City at PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.
Development (Planning) Approval
Building Permit Requirements
A Building Permit application may also be required. To confirm if a building permit is required, please place your request in writing to the City’s Building Services, outlining what is proposed.