Building approval certificate applications

Building Approvals

A building approval certificate confirms that the residential building has been assessed by a private building surveyor for compliance and that a certificate of building compliance has been issued.

A building approval certificate is required:

  • Where residential works have been carried out without obtaining a building permit (unauthorised works)
  • To confirm compliance with the applicable building standards for residential works that did not previously require an approval.

Application requirements

Please refer to the certified application checklist for occupancy permit and building approval certificate for information that is required to be submitted.

A private building surveyor is required to assess the documentation and issue a certificate prior to lodging the application with the City. Details of private building surveyors can be found on the Department of Mines, Industry, Regulation and Safety website.

Fees are in accordance with the Building Services: fees and charges.

Application forms

BA13 application for building approval certificate


In person

Visit the City of Joondalup Administration Centre, 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup.

By Post

Post the application to the City at PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.

Once the application is lodged, an officer will conduct a preliminary assessment. If further information is required, you will be contacted in writing.


The City has 10 working days to assess and complete a building approval certificate application.

If the application is incomplete, the City will write to the applicant and request further information. The additional information must be supplied within 21 days or within a timeframe agreed to by the City.