Codes of conduct
The Local Government Act 1995 requires the City to adopt two codes of conduct:
- A Code of Conduct for elected members, committee members and local government election candidates
- A Code of Conduct for Employees
Each code of conduct sets out principles and standards of behaviour that either elected members, committee members, local government election candidates or employees must observe. Each code has differing provisions but includes matters such as:
- Values and general principles of behaviour
- Requirements in relation to behaviour
- Appropriate relationships with others and the broader community
- Use of City resources and information
- Conflicts of interests
- Reporting breaches of the code and other statutory reporting mechanisms.
Each code must be read in conjunction with the Local Government Act 1995 and other legislation that affect elected members, committee members and employees while performing their role and duties and the code does not override or affect those provisions or requirements.