Public buildings – event approvals

Most events being held in the City require the event organiser to obtain an approval under the Health (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1911. The City provides advice and guidance to the organisers of community and public events. To protect the health and safety of those attending, a number of aspects of the event must be considered. These include:

  • Venue safety
  • Food safety
  • Booking of City facilities
  • Electrical safety
  • Marquees, stages and structures
  • Noise emissions
  • Amusements and rides
  • Emergency evacuation plans.

The Public Event Application Pack guides you through the process and includes the relevant application forms.

Noise exemptions

Some events that create noise will be required to obtain an approval as a non-conforming event. This will often include music events such as concerts. Further information on whether a noise exemption is required and the process for obtaining an approval, can be found in the City’s fact sheet ‘Information for Approval of a Non-Conforming Event’, contained within the public event application pack.

Application requirements

Please refer to the Public Event application pack for application requirements.

Lodging an application

You can lodge an application for a public building:

Online (preferred) – Please refer to the City’s e-application service and select Environmental Health Applications.

Or by completing the application form and submitting it:

  • In person by visiting the City of Joondalup Administration Centre, 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup.
  • By Post to the City at PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.