Asbestos is a hazardous material, the safest way to remove it is to engage a licensed asbestos removal specialist.
If this is not possible and residents need to dispose of asbestos, residents can drop off asbestos free of charge at Tamala Park each Sunday, with conditions listed below:
- The asbestos must be wrapped in heavy duty (200 micron) builders plastic and sealed with strong duct tape. Mindarie Regional Council (MRC) sell the plastic and tape if required, its also available from most hardware stores
- Asbestos must be delivered completely wrapped, securely sealed, and clearly labelled ‘CAUTION ASBESTOS’
- MRC staff are unable to unload the asbestos. Ensure you have someone with you to help off-load the asbestos
- Residents must complete the Residential Asbestos Drop-off Declaration which can be found on the MRC website, or provided by the MRC weighbridge attendant on arrival.
Quantity limits for free drop off
- 165kg (approximately 3-4 fencing sheets) can be dropped off for free. This is in line with commercial guidelines for safe disposal without a licence
- Residents may make multiple visits up to a maximum of five with each load only holding the limit of 165kgs, after which MRC will charge for asbestos disposal
- For asbestos loads over 165kg, the additional kg will be charged at the standard rate (approximately $250.00p/tonne) along with the minimum entry fee (check the current accepted fees and charges).