Lodging house

Under the Health (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1911, a ‘lodging house’ is any building or structure or part of the building or structure, permanent or otherwise, in which provision is made for lodging or boarding more than six people – exclusive of the family of the keeper of the lodging house – for hire or reward.

The term does not include:

  • Premises licensed under a publican’s general licence, limited hotel licence, or wayside-house licence, granted under the Licensing Act 1911.
  • Residential accommodation for students in a non-government school within the meaning of the School Education Act 1999.
  • Any building comprising residential flats.

To keep a lodging house within the City of Joondalup, you need to seek approval and registration from the City.

Every lodging house is required to be inspected and have its registration renewed annually.

Application requirements

  • Application form
  • Application fee, in accordance with the Environmental Health Schedule of Fees and Charges.
  • Detailed plans and specifications of the proposed lodging house.

Lodging an application

You can submit a Lodging House application:

Online form Lodging House – apply for registration (preferred)

Or by completing an application form and submitting it:

  • In person – Visit the City of Joondalup Administration Centre, 90 Boas Avenue, Joondalup.
  • By post –  PO Box 21, Joondalup WA 6919.

Planning requirements

Development (planning) approval is also required for all accommodation businesses such as hotels, short stay accommodation or bed and breakfast. This is irrespective of whether approval is required for a lodging house.

Building permit requirements

A Building Permit application may be required for accommodation business, particularly if new building works are proposed. To confirm if a building permit application is required, please place your request in writing to the City’s Building Services, outlining what is proposed.