Under the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997, the playing of a musical instrument that is likely to cause a disturbance to a neighbour is generally permitted, provided the following requirements are met:
- The instrument is played for no more than one hour per day between the hours of 7am and 7pm Monday to Saturday, and 9am and 7pm on Sundays and public holidays
- The instrument is played in a suitable room with all of the windows and doors closed. A metal shed does not constitute a suitable room as there is insufficient attenuation of the noise
- Only a single instrument is being played. Band practice should occur in a studio or other suitable location
- In case of drum kits, sound-off pads and cymbal silencers are recommended
- Electric guitars should have the amplifier turned down to the lowest level
For assistance for noise that occurs outside business hours, please contact City Rangers.
Where noise from musical instruments are causing a noise disturbance, a noise complaint can be lodged using the online form Noise – make a noise complaint.