Responsible cat ownership
Before you purchase a cat ensure that you have carefully considered the responsibilities that go with cat ownership
- Speak with your local veterinarian
- Speak with other cat owners
- Gather as much information as you can to aid you in your decision
- Never buy a cat on impulse – cats often live to around 12 years of age or older.
Owners basic responsibilities
- Your cat must be registered sterilised and micro-chipped from the age of six months
- Your cat must wear a collar displaying council registration tag
- It is recommended you include a name tag with owner’s name and contact number attached to the cat’s collar
- Contain your cat to your own property
- Keep your cat indoors at night.
Registration, sterilisation and microchipping assists with:
- Reuniting lost cats with owners
- Reducing the large numbers of cats euthanised each year
- Better control and management of stray and unwanted cats.